I read Last Chance to See… by Douglas Adams (late and very lamented) and Mark Carwardine (who is on facebook) today sitting on a tangled bank on the San Joaquin River, escaping from the Excessive Heat we Fresnoans were warned about, taking the batteries out and putting them back in my phone, which is evidently allergic to water and is performing the cellphone version of a sneezing fit, trying to start up and failing over and over again. I swear I barely dipped it in. The fish in the river seemed mostly to be speckled dace (23 fans on facebook), largemouth bass (7814 fans on facebook) and bluegills (0 people interested in Bluegills on facebook) – I’m not complaining, I’ll take any kind of fish-watching over pretty much anything else. For instance, I spent a good hour the day before yesterday tracing a canal through the Fig Garden neighborhood in Fresno. My first ecology observation in Fresno? The mosquitofish (no facebook fans) that used to live in the canal seem to have been replaced by speckled dace, who seem to like the shopping carts. In my unscientific poll, it’s a mixed correlation between number of facebook fans and abundance near shopping malls, which is a little surprising since I associate facebook with shopping. But I also use facebook on my phone, so there does seem to be a negative association between fish and facebook in general. The fish need to get with the program and I need my phone to be functional.
- RT @MarkHarrisNYC: Whatever happens on Tuesday, the President of the United States endorsed a child molester who thinks gay people should b… 4 hours ago
- RT @tribelaw: The crescendo of baseless claims that Mueller & the FBI are biased and corrupt is rising at an alarming pace. It’s easy to se… 4 hours ago
- RT @jehorowitz: Are you in Alabama and in college? Guess what: NONE of the polling is expecting you to turn out for this election. Your fut… 13 hours ago
- I did it and you can too. Keep a man who's probably a pedophile out of Congress. He's grossly unqualified! twitter.com/GDouglasJones/… 1 day ago
- RT @AdamSerwer: A head of state publicly calling for a journalist to be fired is a textbook threat to freedom of speech. https://t.co/1NhRe… 1 day ago