I read Last Chance to See… by Douglas Adams (late and very lamented) and Mark Carwardine (who is on facebook) today sitting on a tangled bank on the San Joaquin River, escaping from the Excessive Heat we Fresnoans were warned about, taking the batteries out and putting them back in my phone, which is evidently allergic to water and is performing the cellphone version of a sneezing fit, trying to start up and failing over and over again. I swear I barely dipped it in. The fish in the river seemed mostly to be speckled dace (23 fans on facebook), largemouth bass (7814 fans on facebook) and bluegills (0 people interested in Bluegills on facebook) – I’m not complaining, I’ll take any kind of fish-watching over pretty much anything else. For instance, I spent a good hour the day before yesterday tracing a canal through the Fig Garden neighborhood in Fresno. My first ecology observation in Fresno? The mosquitofish (no facebook fans) that used to live in the canal seem to have been replaced by speckled dace, who seem to like the shopping carts. In my unscientific poll, it’s a mixed correlation between number of facebook fans and abundance near shopping malls, which is a little surprising since I associate facebook with shopping. But I also use facebook on my phone, so there does seem to be a negative association between fish and facebook in general. The fish need to get with the program and I need my phone to be functional.
- RT @ProBirdRights: https://t.co/82WcpSEVZf 8 hours ago
- RT @Amy_Siskind: Oh joy Mitch McConnell & gang: only 22 (not 23) MILLION of the neediest Americans would lose cov'g in your scam. So much… 1 day ago
- RT @evilbmcats: I remember a time not far from now, when all was calm and peaceful, then came the storm, that burning storm, that swept it… 4 days ago
- RT @EmrgencyKittens: Me in 10 years. https://t.co/YIbEaYo1Jo 6 days ago
- RT @SICKOFWOLVES: FREE SPEECH MEANS THAT IF I SCREAM THE LOUDEST YOU HAVE TO AGREE WITH ME OR ELSE YOU ARE ISIS RULES ARE RULES BABY 1 week ago